Gas, Fire and Electrical safety

Gas, Fire and Electrical safetyAll our houses are annually inspected for gas, fire and electrical safety to ensure that all our tenants live in safe houses.

Gas Safety

All our houses have gas central heating boilers and some houses have gas hobs. All gas applicances are checked and serviced annually by a gas safe registered engineer to ensure that they are running efficiently and safely. This helps to minimise any breakdowns and ensure that the central heating is running well and can keep the house warm and most importantly it ensures that the boiler is not emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide which can be dangerous.

All our houses also have carbon monoxide detectors near the boilers to provide an early warning in the unlikely event that the boiler develops a fault between inspections.

Fire Safety

All our houses have mains operated interconnected fire alarm systems to ensure that the alarm is quick raised for all tenants in the event of a fire in any area of the house. We also have emergency lighting and fire extinguisers in the corridors and stairs and thumb turn locks on all the doors so that in an emergency tenants can easily get out quickly without needing a key. All our kitchens also have powder extinguishers and fire blankets.

The fire alarms, fire detectors, emergency lights and extinguishers are all checked by a qualified professional engineer on an annual basis to ensure that they are operating correctly.

Electrical Safety

All landlord electrical equipment in our houses (like microwaves, vacuum cleaners, etc) is PAT tested every year to ensure it’s safe to use. We recommend that for your safety tenants also get your own electrical equipment checked (but it’s not compulsory) and we’ve arranged that this can be done at the same time as the landlord checks for £1 an item on request.

Every 5 years we have an extensive safety test done on the whole house electrics to ensure that even the cables in the walls are safe! At the start and end of every tenancy all the switches, sockets and lights are checked in the bedrooms to make sure they are safe and working.